Saturday, October 13, 2007

Pottery Masterpieces


I signed Ella and myself up for a Mommy and Me pottery class this year at our rec center. It has been a lot of fun for both of us. I get to try my hand at being creative (which I'm not very good at), and Ella gets to make a big mess every week! Our first project was to make a pinch bowl. So I got Ella started, and we both got to work. About 20 minutes later I looked around the table at the other little girls holding a perfectly formed little bowl. Then I look next to me at Ella, whose bowl could now only be described as a plate, as she was sticking her hand in the slip- water mixed with a little clay- (how smart am I already?) and smearing it all over her previously decorated 'bowl'. But she loved it, and I can say proudly that she made it 100% on her own. We glazed them the next week, and finally got to bring them home yesterday. As we were leaving the rec center after class, this guy walked up behind me and said- "So she's the one that made that. I'm in the Tuesday class, and we were all wondering." I'd like to think they were all wondering because of the sheer talent that is so obviously displayed in her work of art.
Yesterday we also got to work with red clay which our instructor pressed out of an extruder. It came out in a thick tube shape. She asked the girls what it looked like. I think she was looking for 'snake' or something like that. Ella looked at me confused, wondering if she was really supposed to say what she thought it looked like. Then the instructor asked again what it looked like, and so Ella looked up at me and said- "Poops?" I had to admit, that's exactly what it looked like.

2 comments:

jamie t. said...

that is so funny. I think that if Anna did one it would turn out very similar. How fun to be able to do that together!

Kara said...

Ella is so funny! I love to hear her funny little comments like "poops"! She makes me laugh.